Information on the online Conference platforms
Big Blue Button - Online meeting rooms
Most virtual meetings will be conducted via BigBlueButton (henceforth BBB). BBB is broadly similar to video conferencing software like Zoom or Jitsi: it was developed for use by organizations which routinely provide remote teaching and lectures. Importantly, BBB is a free and open-source software, aligning more with the degrowth ethos behind the conference, and helping us move away from corporate and exclusively market-based solutions, as much as possible.
BBB's slogan is "BigBlueButton Was Created In A Classroom, Not A Boardroom. That’s Important."
Client hardware and software required for the device used to connect to BBB)
- BBB works from any desktop computer running most operating systems: Linux, MacOS, and Windows. It will also work from most Apple or Android mobile devices, although some functionalities might be limited.
- As a user you do not have to install a separate program/app – BBB will run directly in browsers like Firefox, Chrome or Edge. You might encounter difficulties with other browsers (like Safari or Internet Explorer), so please use Firefox, Chrome or Edge.
- Presenters should use a laptop or desktop, including a webcam if required.
FAQs for types of users
- Participants (who are attending remotely)
- Presenters (when presenting from a remote location)
- Moderators (who will support each meeting)
Finally, we have set up a number of ‘test rooms’ to help all conference participants familiarize themselves with the BBB environment. Please feel free to use these rooms as much as you want/need, to practice and prepare for the conference sessions. These rooms will remain open throughout the duration of the conference. Here are the rooms: Test Room #1, Test Room #2, Test Room #3, Test Room #4, Test Room #5.